January 20, 2012

Bring on the Spring

I dunno about you, but having some greenery indoors during the drab winter months is something that's always felt important to me. I easily get "down in the dumps" during gray winter days, but the spark of life found in a blooming plant is usually just the jolt I need to pick myself out of my winter slum.

I'm a firm believer that a splash of something live and green in a home is the best reminder of the spring to come. While I've already shared my methods for making both a tabletop terrarium and water garden (both of which we're still loving by the way) I'm back today with a few fun ways to incorporate a little life indoors.

During the holiday season, a live Christmas tree is an obvious and instant ticket to success in the greenery department. Those babies smell so dang delicious, and will leave your living room smelling fresh and piney for weeks. Wreaths, holly and mistletoe are other easy ways to incorporate greenery during the holidays.


But after the holiday season is wrapped up and all packed away until next year, there are still plenty of things you can do. Here's how we infused some greenery into our house this winter:

Painting for sale here through Esty
Did you know that you can save a bundle of green onions by simply placing them in a jar of water on your window sill? They will continue to produce as long as the water is changed out regularly and roots are rinsed. This method allows you to harvest the fresh green onion right from your window sill! We've lasted all winter long on a single .68 cent bundle of green onions. I wish I would have known that during my college days... : )

{Photo Via}
Oh. And the news gets better...my new favorite culinary trick (a la Pinterest) is to slice up an entire bundle of green onions and funnel them into an old water bottle. They store amazingly well in the freezer and a simple shake from the bottle lets me use a desired amount in any given recipe. Talk about a sweet savings.

Last fall I dug up a portion of our chive plant. Chives usually over-winter very well and tend to be one of the first signs of life in the spring. Last fall, I decided to bring a part of our chive plant indoors and house it in a small herb terrarium that I put together with a few simple items from the recycle bin.

{Idea found on pinterest, originally BHG}

Living wreaths are also a wonderfully whimsical way to bring a touch of the outdoors in this holiday season. I love this four-herbed wreath that I found in Country Living magazine. Besides using herbs, succulent-type plants work wonderfully for this type of craft as they require little maintenance to thrive.


I also {try to} grow a tray of wheat grass in our kitchen all winter long. Wheat grass is very easy to care for, and doesn't require a whole lot of light either-major score in our house where windowsills are already covered with other plants. Our dogs, who frequently "graze" in the yard during in the warmer months really appreciate the bit of greenery we've brought indoors especially for them. Wheat grass is highly digestible for dogs (and cats!) and it took one simple introduction for our boys to decide they love it.


And lately I've been crushing on Meyers Lemon Trees...so maybe we'll incorporate a little citrus into the mix next year.  How do you get through the gray winter months? Do live plants help improve your mood too?

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh - so many great tips here! I saw the one about storing the onion bulbs on your window sill to get them to grow... but chopping them up into a water bottle?? awesome. Do you just put them in the freezer like that? How long do they stay good? :)

    I've just started a link party devoted to projects inspired by pinterest.
    Very Pinteresting Party

    I'd love for you to come by and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly:
      Thanks SO much for your comment! And yes, you just get 'em in the water bottle and shove 'em in the freezer. I used one bundle for 2 months and they were as great in my last recipe as my first. That's the longest they've lasted in my freezer because we always go through them.

      Delete

Hello and thank you SO much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every comment, and they really do make my day!! Please type in your response and submit it. Your comment will appear on the blog soon :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...