April 6, 2014

Homemade Carpet Freshener


If' I've said it once, I've said it a million times. I really love a simple little project like this, 15 minutes or less, checking them off the 'to-do' list feels oh-so satisfactory!


This quick & simple project was something I whipped up this weekend to help deodorize our carpet before I vacuum. The supplies are simple: a mason jar (or other) w/lid, baking soda, lavender essential oil, labeling tools. In my case, the chalkboard labels and markers were in my craft stash, the baking soda in my pantry, and the lavender oil in my Young Living Oils kit. Lavender is an essential in our house! The chalkboard labels were $3.99 and the chalkboard markers $11.99 fro Hobby Lobby when I purchased them over a year ago- but I know you know to never buy anything at Hobby Lobby without that sacred 40% off coupon ;) (They let you use it from your phone now too!)


 So I feel almost silly typing out a tutorial for this. I filled the jar partway with baking soda. Added 3 drops of lavender oil, and topped it with an equal amount of baking soda. Three more drops of lavender- add the cap- and shake, shake, shake!


I made mine right on the carpet, because I obviously didn't care if I spilled a bit. I also saved punching the holes in the cap for the end so I didn't make a HUGE mess while getting my shake on. 

I'll also plan to use this carpet refreshing mixture to freshen up our mattress several times a year as well. When we've already got the sheets off for washing, I'll just sprinkle some on\ & let it sit for at least an hour, and vacuum away before putting sheets back on. 

Next time I might try this recipe using lemon essential oil next time- it's my favorite- I cannot get enough. 

Have you been making any homemade cleaning products lately? Do you love essential oils like I do? We have a diffuser now- it's been revolutionary- and I plan to share more on that before too long! 

4 comments:

  1. This is an AWESOME idea!!! Lavender in the carpet is a great idea for spring time to help those allergies! And I would love to try this with lemon as well....and a few other essential oils!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh didn't even realize the lavender will help with allergies- huzzah! Too awesome.

      Lemon is next for me. Do you have other recommendations??

      Delete

Hello and thank you SO much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every comment, and they really do make my day!! Please type in your response and submit it. Your comment will appear on the blog soon :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...